Thursday, April 16, 2009

Summer Plans

Last week Kaitlyn brought home a note informing me that she has been recommended for summer school. My reaction was mixed feelings of sadness and relief. I was sad that, with as hard as she works, she still needs extra help, but I also felt relief that she is far enough behind to get help. It wasn't that way last year.

Kaitlyn went through a battery of tests last year with the schools speech therapist. As the therapist was reviewing the results with me, she kept saying, "Kaitlyn scored a 12 (or a 20, 17, etc). That's great!" I found myself becoming more and more irritated, and finally stated my own opinion. "That's not great. The average score for this test is in the 60's." "Well," she explained, "in order to qualify for help, she would have to score a 10 or less." So frustrating! She was literally missing out on help by a few points, when there was such a huge difference between where she was, and where she should be.

So, if there's room, she's off to summer school. She excited to go, and I'm thrilled that she likes school.

1 comment:

Jenny Dahlke said...

Yeah, I'm glad they are willing to help her, and that she loves school!